Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Saturday in Kenya

What a fun day! I went to the elephant orphanage to see rescued baby elephants. The orphanage is only open one hour a day because they do not want the elephants getting used to people, as their goal is to release them back into the wild. But OMG were they cute! After that I went to Mathare where the teen group was having a meeting (teen group rages from around 6 to 15 once they turn 16 they join the youth group). They did races, and made masks. The winners of the races got 5 slices of bread and a glass of milk, which they were VERY happy about :) Tomorrow for the first time since I have been here, I am taking some time off (2 days ) to explore the beauty of Kenya. I am taking a 5 and half hour car ride through Kenya to get to Maasai Mara, one of Kenya's greatest game reserves. I am excited to see the wild animals, but will miss my kids while away! I also have to say that I am so taken back by the response to my plea for funds to buy supplies. People have been so wonderful and giving, and I am so humbled that you are all helping me, help the children. It is ALL our efforts that make the world a better place, and we can never give up on trying to make a difference. Anything is possible when people work together, and for that I thank you! Asante Sana! (Thank you!)

with a little piece of my heart,

Julia

3 comments:

  1. Can you fit one into your suitcase, and bring it home....PLEASE. Oh, they are sooo cute. Can't wait until you can go shopping for the kids. You are going to have the best time!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some research on the Mara and also on the Maasai People (that have always intrigued me). You described this game reserve as one of "Kenya's greatest."

    Well, outside of Kenya, it is described as the WORLD'S FAVORITE safari destination!

    I hope that, by the time you read this post, you will have experienced the sights and sounds of one of the most beautiful stretches of untampered nature that our planet has to offer.

    Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete