Monday, June 13, 2011

Another great day, I could get used to this! Went to work today and worked one-on-one with an eight year old student. William is non-verbal but always uses his hands to try to communicate with me. I wanted to see if he could learn number recognition with sign language. I spent about an hour with him on numbers 1 through 5. By the end of the lesson I could hold up a number and he could sign it. I'm not going to lie, I had tears in my eyes. I am very proud of him, but know his and my work are not done. Repetition is KEY, patience is EVERYTHING. These children have undeniable potential, and a chance to make it in this world if given the right tools. I know it has always been part of my journey to be here and faith has played its role, but I thank G-d and my Bumpa for guiding me here. Life is simply beautiful.

with a little piece of my heart,

Julia

7 comments:

  1. I'm actually speechless!!! miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.

    -John Steinbeck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweetheart so nice talking to you just now. Sounds like you are soooooooooooo happy and NOT home sick. You are amazing, you make us all proud. Miss you and love you lot's MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my g-d it worked! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia this story is amazing! so proud of you and I have NO doubt that Bumpa has been with you every step of the way! MISS U!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is beautiful and so are you... all the way from your soul to the freckles in your eyes that only see hope in this world. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each post amazes me and makes me even prouder of you and your work. Keep it up, Miss Julia. You ARE making a difference!!!

    ReplyDelete